I was going through some old parts today and decided to make a PC.
- Case - Check, this was my old, loud PC for the office.
- Memory - Check, 512MB of PC133
- Motherboard - Check, Asus AK32V.
- CPU - Check, 1GHz Athlon, no XP, MP, 64, Etc.
- Hard Disk – Check, a 20GB Western Digital (old Feynman1 Robot Disk)
- Network - Check, Linksys 10/100 Ethernet
- OS - Fedora Core 6 basic stripped.
- Function – I am not sure, maybe CVS, free-up Einstein for more important task, but I really don't know. I have a CVS server, a back-up server, I don't really need DHCP since the router handles this, domain? I don't really want to mess with that. Web? I have about 10 or so web servers in the house. Maybe a robot… Maybe a Linux robot learning platform…
Well this effort was for nothing. Though I was able to install the OS, the MB/CPU/Etc. was just tiered. It failed to boot after install, so I think I am just going to have to junk this stuff…
Given my problems the other day with my Media center PC, I now have a motherboard and CPU and memory for a new computer. I am not sure what to do with it, though I have been thinking about (Network Attached Storage for awhile). Right now all of our back-ups are spread around it might be nice to have a 1TB storage array in the house behind lock & key… Hmm….